Kundalini Yoga, the Yoga of Awareness is an ancient yoga stream from Northern India. The concept of Kundalini Yoga has been around since 1,000BC.
Kundalini derives from the Sanskrit word “kundal’, which means ‘circular’ and it’s spiralling energy is referred to as a coiled snake, situated at the base of the spine. The energy and the potential of Kundalini is dormant within us, until aroused.
With a regular practice of Kundalini Yoga, the energy rises helping to balance the inner vortexes, known as the Chakras. This contributes greatly to an increased sense of awareness, spiritual well-being, increased vitality and creativity.
Indeed, it is the ‘experience’ of a Kundalini Yoga class that is the ‘difference’ to other yoga streams.
A Kundalini Yoga class includes:
- The Pranayama – the control of the breath. To calm, cleanse, release & restore. The Body Locks – the control of prana (the breath) within the body.
- The Kriya – the flow of a Kundalini Yoga Class.
- The Meditation – to still the mindwaves.
- The Relaxation – to allow the body to absorb the effects of the Kriya and to align with the energy of the Mother Earth for healing.
The many benefits of Kundalini Yoga are:
- An Elevated sense of Awareness & a higher consciousness.
- Increased Physical & Mental Stamina.
- Regular practice strengthens the Nervous Systems, the Immune System, the Respiratory & Cardiovascular Systems.
- Supports the Glandular, Digestive & Lymphatic Systems.
- Helps anxiety & to alleviate stress. Supports better decision making as the mind becomes more in line with a wider sense of being.